01 December 2008

Greatest Sports Moments Ever: #4

So I know that I originally advertised this as “Top 3,” but while I was writing, I realized that I couldn’t narrow the list to 3. I have also decided that in order to give each moment its proper recognition I will divide the post into four parts.

This posting is about what I think are the 4 greatest sports moments ever. While I fully realize that there are probably several dozen events worthy of making the list, I have chosen these as my Top 4. The criteria I have set as the basis for ranking these moments are: Overall significance to sports, Emotional impact, Memorability, and Future sports impact.

#4- Kirk Gibson’s Game Winning Home Run in Game 1 of 1988 World Series

While many other baseball teams have historic and memorable home runs, none is as significant as this one. The Oakland A’s had been a juggernaut and were overwhelming favorites in the series. When Kirk Gibson hobbled to the plate as a pinch hitter, the Dodgers were trailing 4-3 with two outs in the bottom of the 9th inning. Dennis Eckersley was on the mound for the A’s looking to close out the win. Gibson, who had sustained multiple injuries to his legs and knees during the NLCS, could barely stand and grunted in pain after each swing. He extended the count to full at 3-2, and then hit the next pitch into the right field bleachers winning the game. Gibson then became immortal as he rounded second base and pumped his fist twice.

The Dodgers went on to win the World Series in 5 games, but the significance of the event reached even further. It marked the first time in World Series history that a team had won a game on a come from behind home run. And even more significant, millions of kids (myself included) were seen to mimic Gibson’s fist pump at little league games all over Southern California. We thought we were so cool rounding First base on a ground ball, but still pumping our fists like Gibson. That was Kirk Gibson’s only at bat in that World Series, as his injuries prevented him from any further playing time. Lastly, this home run is also considered to be the greatest home run in Dodgers franchise history.

What tops this sports moment? You’ll have to check back next week for #3 of the Top 4 Greatest Sports Moments Ever.

1 comment:

Lars Barlow said...

Perhaps this is just a greatest sports moments to you because it involves the Dodgers? I really doubt very many people remember that moment aside from you. Then again I don't know baseball very well. It is just that in my opinion the greatest sports moments in history are likely the ones that even non sports fans have some recollection of. Things like the Babe Ruth home run. Mark McGuire's record setting home run. Mohammed Ali in that one old TV clip. Perhaps Mike Tyson biting the ear off of Evander Holifield. US Womens team winning the world Cup in 1998 (I remember watching that game at your house and becoming an instant fan of Mia Hamm). All I am really saying is that greatness can be measured in many ways but sometimes that way is through mass recognition and recollection. Because when it comes down to it greatness comes through the voice of the people and occasionally the memories of the people.